Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Review: Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley

Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley by Peter Guralnick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If you are a fan of Elvis, this is your book. This is the first of a two-part series on the King of Rock and Roll. Guralnick goes into painstaking detail on Elvis' life from the time he was a young boy getting his first guitar through the death of his beloved mother and shipping off to Germany as PFC Elvis Presley. It is clear that Elvis was his own person. He was at times naive and humble while at other times he was rambunctious and rebellious. Everything he did, he did for his family. His love for his parents, especially his mother was both sweet and heartbreaking. He was inconsolable when she passed away.

This book truly is a deep dive into Presley's life. Where I am a fan of his (I saw him in concert just a couple months before he died), I don't know that I needed details to the level that Guralnick noted. For superfans, this is definitely a book worth reading. It was entertaining and interesting and I will read the second book in the series. This book does not cover his life with Pricilla or eventual decline in health.

The Kindle version that I read included audio clips of some of the interviews that Guralnick conducted with some key people in Elvis' life. It is worth the purchase if you are a Kindle user.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment