Thursday, December 22, 2011

Dr. Pepper Wings!

So, a few weeks ago, while visiting Dallas, my little sister Nikki and her kids took me to dinner at Pluckers.  Pluckers is an Austin based wing/sports bar joint that had some fun flavors.  One particular flavor is Dr. Pepper.  I don't drink a lot of soda, but I do enjoy the occasional Dr. Pepper.  I couldn't imagine Dr. Pepper wings though.  I was intrigued.  Surprisingly, they were fantastic.  A bit of a barbeque type sauce without the vinegary tang.  Instead it had a bit of Dr. Pepper aftertaste that made you think you had just had a drink of soda. 

I kept telling Quin about these wings and decided to see if I could find a mock recipe.  I didn't but did find many Dr. Pepper bbq sauce recipes online and decided to make them myself.  Pluckers has a boneless wing plate that is really just a plate of large chicken tenders (they do things big in Texas, ya know).


They came out pretty close to Pluckers and probably a bit healthier.  Let me tell ya' though, my Aunt Pam makes the best fried chicken tenders evah!

Tonight I am starting the holiday cooking.  Christmas dinner is at our house this year.  A small group of family.  I am looking forward to it, so that I and my family can spend more time visiting and less time in the kitchen.  My cowboy is preparing some birds to fry!  With about 6-7" of snow on the ground, he'll be frying in the garage.  He's not yet caught the house on fire....hope we continue with that tradition!

No comments:

Post a Comment