Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Review: Cleopatra

Cleopatra Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Stacy Schiff expertly recounts the reign of Cleopatra and her tumultuous relationship with Mark Antony. Drawing on the few known primary resources available, Schiff is able to give the reader an unvarnished view of Cleopatra, Antony, and Octavian. It is easy to get lost in the clear descriptions of times.

I do like how the author puts everything in perspective for the reader. For instance, I had not thought about how the Valley of the Kings had already been raided by Cleopatra's time and Troy would have been "ancient history" to her as well. I really enjoyed digging in deep into her life and be able to understand the times from her eyes.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment