Monday, October 31, 2016

Review: The Secrets of Lizzie Borden

The Secrets of Lizzie Borden The Secrets of Lizzie Borden by Brandy Purdy
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book is the fictionalized account of the life of Lizzie Borden from her young life in Fall River, Massachusetts to her death. The book supposes that Lizzie had a hard life dealing with a miserly father and and a stepmother who looked to bilk Lizzie and her sister Emma out of their inheritance. It also supposes that she was a very romantic person dealing with the feelings of being unloved by anyone. Her father drilled into her head that because he was financially well off, that people would only love her for money and not herself. Her relationships seemed to confirm those feelings in her. After being humiliated one too many times by her family, Lizzie does the deed she is renowned for. The author also considers what Lizzie's life was like after the trial.

I've always been interested in the Lizzie Borden story, since the time Elizabeth Montgomery played her in a movie about the murders back in 1975. Very interesting book, and I think likely closer to truth than fiction. I loved the detailed descriptions, yet I think it was a bit too graphic in some aspects, that I don't think were necessary. Worth the read if you are a Lizzie Borden fan but I think I'd prefer something that is a non-fictionalized account.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment