Saturday, December 5, 2015

Review: The Hangman's Daughter

The Hangman's Daughter The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötzsch
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Hangman's Daughter is a work of fiction but is based on the author's ancestors. Jakob Kuisl is a 17th century hangman/executioner in the Bavarian town of Shongau. A young boy is found dead and immediately the town's burgomasters want to point the finger at the local midwives, suspected of being a witch. Jacob and his family know the midwife well (she delivered his kids) and vows to find the real murderer before he has to execute her. It's a bit action packed, with mystery and historical fiction.

I thought it was a great read and I am looking forward to the next in the series. I love the ancestral element/connection between the author and the main character. Although it is a dark story of murder and mystery, there is a bit of a comedy tone between Jakob and the young doctor in town, Simon, who has a thing for Jakob's daughter. One of my favorite reads this year.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment