Friday, December 4, 2015

Review: Yes Please

Yes Please Yes Please by Amy Poehler
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I love Amy Poehler's humor. Some of my favorite Saturday Night Live characters are a product of her imagination. Yes Please is Poehler's autobiography written in the same stream of consciousness that she is known for. Poehler talks about her childhood, how she got into comedy, her time in the Upright Citizens Brigade, Saturday Night Live, and most recently Parks and Recreation. She also discusses her marriage and divorce with Will Arnett and her children Archie and Abel. Poehler has had an interesting life and likely has many more interesting stories to tell.

I listened to the audio version of the book. She read it along with some of her friends like Seth Myers, Kathleen Turner, and Carol Burnett. The last chapter was read to a live audience. I thought it was the best chapter, but I like live recordings over a book that is just read in a studio. Where I enjoyed the book and learning about Amy Poehler, I didn't love the book. I thought it was a bit disorganized (like her) and rambling at times. It wasn't written in any chronological order. I think that is what bothered me about it. I also got tired of hearing about all the drugs she did or what drug induced haze had her writing different bits of her past comedy. Ultimately, I think she is a good, kind-hearted person with a lot of insane episodes in her life and she has a great way of telling her stories.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment